The club was formed in 1879 as Fulham St Andrew's Church Sunday School. Fulham were founded by worshippers of the C of E church in Star Road, West Kensington. The church is still in existence today, with a plaque commemorating the team's foundation. The club's name was shortened to its present form in 1888.
Fulham started playing at Craven Cottage in 1896 and gained professional status on 12th December 1898. The club's first recorded all-white kit was worn in 1903 and since then they have played in a white shirt with black shorts.